State Wars Hockey Tryout Staff
The State Wars Hockey (SWH) staff along with local directors/reps will act as the unbiased selection committee to choose the top roller hockey players in the United States and Canada. The SWH staff will hold open state/provincial tryouts and will choose the best players in each division to represent their home state/province at State Wars. The SWH staff is made up of outstanding roller hockey people who have an eye for talent. These individuals have a great deal of experience in the sport of roller hockey. Some of them have pro hockey experience both playing and coaching but all of them have a passion for the sport. The most important quality they possess is their knack for finding players who will work well together in order to represent their state/province at State Wars.
State and Provincial Teams
State/Provincial teams are formed by the SWH staff from the players who register and participate in their respective state/provincial tryout. These state/provincial teams make State Wars Hockey so unique because the only way a player can play at the State Wars event is to make his or her state/provincial team. You cannot just jump on a team at the last minute or play with a team from another state/province. In order to show that you are the best in your state/province you must register for and participate in your state/provincial tryouts. If you are selected for your state/provincial team then you get to showcase your skills while being a part of a select few. All the players in the world will know that you are one of the best players in your state/province. Instant respect. When you are at other roller or ice hockey tournaments players will recognize you as a State Wars player. Playing for your state/provincial team and playing at State Wars is like playing in the Little League World Series. But as you and I know, hockey is a much better sport.
If a player has a history of playing for a specific state/province and moves to a state/province that doesn't field teams for them to continue playing at State Wars, then State Wars Hockey management may allow a player to continue playing with the state/provincial team that they has been playing for in the past. Such players or parents must contact our office to discuss.
- State teams are formed by the SWH staff from the players who register and participate in their respective state/provincial tryout
- The only way a player can play at the State Wars event is to make his or her state/provincial team
- Playing for your state/provincial team and playing at State Wars is like playing in the Little League World Series, but for roller hockey
As State Wars continues to grow and evolve each year, we have seen interest grow all across the World. Teams from different countries are now showcasing their skills at State Wars, as it is now recognized as THE top roller hockey tournament in the World. Teams that participate from other countries run their own tryouts within their national program. Over the past few years, teams from United Kingdom, France, Korea, Sweden, Columbia, Argentina, Namibia, Catalunya, Switzerland, Australia, and Brasil have participated at State Wars.
Online Registration makes it so easy for you to register for your state/provincial tryouts. You simply click here to register for your tryout. This link directs you to the Tryout Registration page where you can complete and submit the form to ensure you have a place at your state/provincial tryouts. This easy process was made available so that no one else is responsible for making sure you have a place in the tryout. You do not need a coach or a team manager to register. You are able to do it yourself. Just ask one of your parents or your legal guardian to help you register. You will then be periodically emailed directly with necessary information about your state tryouts. The specific times of your state tryouts will be posted on your state web page at least one week prior to the stated tryout date. Any additional info you may need will be found on www.statewarshockey.com and through periodic emails from State Wars Hockey.
- Registration is as easy as 1-2-3 !
- Simply click here to REGISTER NOW
- Registration will be complete after the tryout fee is paid, this will ensure your spot at your state/provincial tryout
- You are able to register yourself from the comfort of your own home
- You will receive direct emails to keep you updated about your state tryout
A player may only attend the state/provincial tryout of the state/province in which he/she uses as their primary residence. There are some small exceptions for goalies or younger division players, that can be found in our Q & A section. If a team is short players and we have some players that are 'free agents' only at the State Wars Hockey staff discretion, a player from out of area can be added to a team to help make them competitive and the roster full. If a player has played for a specific state/province for more than one consecutive year at State Wars and moves, he/she may continue to play with the state/province they had been 'grandfathered' in with.
Players that Move to a New State or Province
If a player has played for a MINIMUM of 2 years at State Wars with their home state/province and after moves to a new state/province that player will have a choice to continue to play with the state/province they have represented or play with their 'new home'. However, once a player plays for their new state/province, that is now considered their official residence and any past residence is washed away.
EXAMPLE : Johnny has played for Team New York in 2016 and 2017, his parents have since moved to New Jersey. Johnny may play in 2018 with either New York or New Jersey. But once he plays for Team New Jersey at State Wars, he man no longer play for Team New York unless he moves back there.
A player will have to show proof of residence if he/she is selected for their state/province team. If still in school and living at home, a player may show one of the following documents as proof. If a player is out of school he/she may show any of the following documents but they must be in his/her name, not parents.
- School ID card, school report card, utility bill, or a verifiable form which clearly identifies player name with address
- Vaild State issued driver's license - may be in parents or players name
- Pay check or pay stub - where player or parents name is shown as well as state is shown
- Utility bill made out to player or parents name and state must be shown in mailing address (within 30 days of tryout)
Proof Of Age
A player may only attend the state/provincial tryout in his/her birth year division. All players who are selected for their state/provincial team must show proof of age in one of the following ways. If there is no team to tryout for in a specific birth year a player may play 'up'.
- Original government issued Birth Certificate (Canada, USA and their territories) No Hospital Birth Certificates
- Government Issued "Certified Copy" of Birth Certificate, with Government Seal
- Original Passport
- Original USA Immigration Card
- Original State Driver's License (Issued by appropriate Motor Vehicle Department)
- Original State ID Card (Issued by appropriate Motor Vehicle Department)
- Original USA Military ID Card (Issued by appropriate Department of Defense)
Tryout Procedures begin first with making sure you are registered for your state/provincial tryouts. You do so by registering online via www.statewarshockey.com. After you have completed the registration process you will receive a confirmation email that will tell you what to do. This email will let you know where and when to look for the specific times of your state/provincial tryout. Once you have that info, which will be posted on www.statewarshockey.com one week prior to the scheduled tryout date, you will then make arrangements to be dressed and ready 1/2 hour prior to your divisions tryout time. The on-rink tryout process will involve assessment of both individual skill and scrimmage play. All state/provincial tryouts will be conducted with the same goals in mind.
- Each State/Province may have multiple teams in a birth year within the same skill level division. Each State/Province may only one team may be selected at tryouts. Teams will be placed in the skill level division that best suits them. The 'home' state for the State Wars event, may have an unlimited amount of teams in a division
- There will be up to 8 skaters selected in all State tryouts (Provincial teams may field 10 skaters if they choose to do so).
- There will be 2 spots on 'reserve' for all teams, these spots may be filled by skaters at the request of the State Director/Head Coach and approved by the State Wars Hockey National office. These players must be registered for tryouts and have notified the State Wars Hockey office with good reason as to why they could not attend the tryout. These players would have to be considered impact players who would only improve the existing State team.
- If there are only a limited amount of players at tryouts, players may be added at a later date to complete the team
- Each state/provincial tryout is 2 hours in length. Players are required to be at a minimum of ONE of the tryout sessions but it is strongly recommended that all players attend both 1 hour sessions.
- The SWH staff & local directors/reps are selecting the players that they feel have displayed the skills and characteristics they are looking for
- The SWH staff is an unbiased selection committee that has no affiliation with the state in which the tryout is being held
- If a player is a younger birth year but is rated higher than others at the tryout, the SWH staff my elect to select them for the team
No residence rules apply to goaltenders. Goalies may play for any team in State Wars but cannot play for (2) teams in the same birth year and skill division. Although a rare situation, but we may allow a goalie to play net for one team and skate out for another if needed.
If a state or province has two teams in a birth year (with one playing AAA/AA and the other playing AA/A) they may list both of their goalies on both rosters for emergency purposes.
State Wars Fees
In order for each player to be registered for their state/provincial tryout they must complete the tryout registration form and pay the $60 tryout fee. The tryout fee is to be paid by credit card on the tryout registration page. All tryout fees must be paid through the www.statewarshockey.com website. This is the only way to insure that a spot at your state tryout is secure. Below is what you will receive once you are registered for your state tryout.
- All State tryouts are RISK FREE, if a player attends their State tryout (both hours) and is not selected for their State team...they will receive a full refund of the $60 tryout fee. *** Please note however, that tryout fees are non refundable for those that do not attend the full tryout session or for whatever reason change their minds about attending.***
- Players will register to tryout specifically for either the AAA/AA or AAA/AA/A state/provincial team
- All registered players will receive a confirmation email from State Wars Hockey letting them know that they have successfully signed up for their state/provincial tryout. This email will contain all the information they will need to know about their tryout
- Every player will receive a free State Wars Hockey practice jersey
- All players attending their state tryout will get the chance to play for their state/provincial team and play with the best players and coaches in the state/province
If a player is selected for their state/provincial team, then they will get a chance to play against the best players in the country at State Wars. They will compete at STATE WARS (date and location changes each year). Once the SWH staff makes their selections for a state team, all players chosen and their parents will attend a meeting at the tryout facility during the course of the tryout weekend. At this meeting players will be fitted for their custom state team uniforms, photographed for their state page on the State Wars website, and parents/guardians will pay the State Wars fee. The total State Wars fee will be $310 per player if selected for their state/provincial team. This fee includes the following:
- Home and Away custom jerseys designed by Empire Sportwear, all jerseys will have players name and # sublimated into them, team jerseys are players to keep
- Matching custom State Wars Hockey pants
- Teams will be guaranteed a minimum of 5 games at the State Wars event
- Bragging rights that you are one of the best players of your own birth year in your home state or province
Player Eligibility Penalty
If a player attends his/her State/Provincial tryout and is selected to their team, then that player must attend the mandatory team meeting at the conclusion of their tryout sessions. If a player decides not to play for their state team and does not complete the registration requirements, for whatever reason, after the selected players names have been posted, that player will lose his/her eligibility for that year and the following year and not be permitted to play at State Wars or participate in any State Wars Hockey events until the suspension is over.